Re: Paint Removal

To: Marc Siegel <smarc@abs.net>
Subject: Re: Paint Removal
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:01:07 -0600
Marc,

I had a similar problem. There are a couple of factors in your favor.
The paint is likely water based or oil based & easier to remove than
automotive paint. Also the bricks are likely to have a glazed surface
which prevents deep paint penetration.

I used a methelene chloride based aircraft stripper & much, much
ventilation. Lot of scraping & wire brushing. The brick surface came
completely clean & looks just like original. The mortar joints are the
most time consuming. You can just try a stripper on a small section & go
to another brand if it isn't working. Be prepared for quite a few hours
of work.

Like you, I briefly considered sand blasting but decided that it would
make an incredible mess in the house.

Dave Russell