Re: pressure washers

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: pressure washers
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 11:18:45 -0500
Last year we had the house painted by "College Pro" painters - one of those
groups that sells an untrained college kid a franchise and then he hires
other untrained kids for the summer and they all bill themselves as
painters.  They brought a 13 HP pressure washer to wash the house, and then
it sat here while they painted.  When they were done they'd dripped so much
paint on the patios, sidewalks, drive, etc. that we insisted they leave the
washer here for the weekend so we could clean up their mess.

My wife was like Tim the Toolman with that thing.  The power made her
crazy - and she washed the heck out of every bit of pavement on the
property.  With that much pressure and volume, she was able to clean a
decent swath (4"-5") with a fairly fast swipe - only the paint drips
required her to hold the spray there for a while to erode the mess away.
All the remaining tree stains, moss, mildew, etc., etc. that grow on
concrete just blew away.  It did a fantastic job - the 50-year-old sidewalk
looked as clean as it did in the 50's.  Ditto the colored concrete patio
stones, also dating to the mid-late 50's.  Just gotta have one of those.

Note that I said my wife did this.  I hardly got to play with it -  she was
having too much fun.  This is the lady who only plays with kids and flowers,
and there she was pressure-washing everything in sight...

Again, this was a 13 HP unit.  After using that one, we're spoiled for
anything less.  I see them starting at about $1,000 when there's a returned
unit or floor sample sale at Home Depot.  We're getting a new driveway and
new sidewalks in a month or so, and then next year we're going to be
shopping for one of those great toys !!

Karl Vacek
'46 Piper J3-C65 Cub
'16 Ford Model T Touring