Re: pressure washers

To: "Skip Albright" <salbrigh@nycap.rr.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: pressure washers
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 20:17:23 -0400
> whats the consensus on pressure washers?
> I need one for oily auto parts, engines , transmissions, wheels.
>
> not so much for washing the car or house.

I would just use the local DIY car wash.  Most even have options to spray
degreaser, at my local DIY wash it costs $2 for ~5 minutes of high pressure
degreaser.  If everything is in the bed of my pickup I can easily get it
cleaned within those 5 mins.  I've done engines and differentials this way,
somehow I've never had a really dirty gearbox.

The other benefit is environmental, car washes are typically forced to
collect all of their waste water and run it through filters and neutralizing
agents before it gets dumped in your local sewage treatment plant.  Washing
engine blocks in your driveway will have a serious negative impact on your
lawn as well other unseen impacts which typically are not felt by humans but
further down the chain.

Kai