Re: Copper pipe leak solution?

To: Karl Vacek <KVacek@ameritech.net>
Subject: Re: Copper pipe leak solution?
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pjthomas@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 16:17:56 -0400
Karl Vacek wrote:
>>What about some of the automotive leak stuff?  From bars-leak to liquid
>>glass?
>

> Actually, there are _boiler_ stop-leak products that are probably better
> suited to the application (maybe pretty similar, I dunno...).  If it's some
> isolated, small damage, or perhaps a leak in a solder joint that may have
> been poorly made 40 years ago, stop-leak may be a good alternative.
>
> However, if the pipe or solder joints are corroded enough to leak, it's
> quite possibly a widespread problem just beginning to show itself, and a
> very short-term fix at best.  Even  one badly corroded area is not a good
> prospect for stop-leak.  It's best for little pinholes in fairly solid
> material.  Pour and hope, but be prepared to see a recurrence even if it
> does fix it for right now.
>
> If this is hydronic, at least you probably don't have too much pressure to
> deal with.
>
> Karl

Chances are the pipe was eaten away by the concrete.  Old radiant heating used
copper pipes buried in the slab.  Concrete is a base (opposite of acid) and
slowly eats at copper.  Very interesting, the systems failed in about 40 years.

Now all pipes running through concrete are plastic or routed through plastic
chases.

Karl should bite the bullet and reroute the pipes through the wall.  He should
also expect to reroute more pipes in the near future.

--

        Peter J. Thomas
     pjthomas@adelphia.net