battery drain?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: battery drain?
From: ejrussell@mebtel.net
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 08:32:04 -0400
I am wondering what the expected electrical load might be on a vehicle with the
key off?

We recently had a dead battery on our 1996 Chrysler. I quickly figured out that
the truck had not been latched closed, thus the trunk light was 'on' for 2-3
days while the car was not driven.

After re-charging, I connected an amp meter between the neg terminal & the
ground cable (disconnected from the battery). With the everything 'off', the
meter is reading 0.45 - 0.48 amps on the 0-10 scale. Open the trunk, it reads
~1.5 amps, close the trunk, back to <0.5  Open the door it reads about 3 amps,
close the door, back to <0.5

Does it sound like it is still 'leaking' electrons somewhere? I assumed the
draw for the radio memory, etc would be in the mili-amp range. FYI, the battery
in this vehicle in the front, left wheel well, thus it is both easy to ignore &
difficult to service...

Eric