RE: American car question

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: American car question
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 10:18:17 -0700
> My daughter purchased a new 2002 Mercury Couger at the end of
> December. Now that summer has hit she has found out that the AC
> pretty well sucks in the car and it only has 8000 miles on it. We
> have had it back to the dealer twice recently and they try to put
> a charge of freon in it

Marty, does that mean they tested it and found that it was low on gas ?  My
Chevy had a leak for a long time that no one could find, we eventually
figured out that the compressor housing would leak only when it was quite
hot and under full pressure.

> On an 80 degree day the air is coming out
> around 60.  I'm thinking it should be alot colder than that but I
> can't find any document (Ford or otherwise) that gives what the
> temp should be.  Any advise?

What's the dew point of the outside air ?  If it's above 60F, then things
may be working fairly well.  Check that the recirculation door is closing
off most of the outside air intake.  On most cars, you can hear and feel the
difference in the airflow when the door moves.

Randall