Re: Cleaning out an engine and stuff

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cleaning out an engine and stuff
From: dirtbeard <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 22:52:21 -0700
John T. Blair wrote:
> At 12:35 PM 5/4/03 -0600, Ralph Forsythe wrote:
>
>>So here is my dilemma...  I have a 360FE engine in an old truck I
>>"inherited".  The truck's actually in reasonably good shape for being 33
>>years old so I want to get the engine back to running order with minimal
>
> fuss.

This is a tough question. Of course, the best
answer will be to pull the engine, tank the
block and heads, new cam, regrind and balance
the crank, etc. This would assure a 150K+ engine.

However, the real question probably is more
like how many miles do you see yourself
putting on this vehicle per year. If you are
going to use it to commute to work, then the
above recommendation probably makes sense.

If you are going to use it to haul engines,
pick up lumber from home depot, etc. (here I
am thinking 2K miles a year) then it does not
make sense to pull the engine.

Depending on the mileage you will be using it
for, I would let that determine the "solution."

old dirtbeard

los angeles

'72 BSA B50SS
'74 Triumph TR6