Re: Cleaning out an engine and stuff

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cleaning out an engine and stuff
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 15:26:23 -0400
At 12:35 PM 5/4/03 -0600, Ralph Forsythe wrote:

>So here is my dilemma...  I have a 360FE engine in an old truck I
>"inherited".  The truck's actually in reasonably good shape for being 33
>years old so I want to get the engine back to running order with minimal
fuss.

>I only have one head off so far, but other than a small (1/4" wide, not
>deep just visibly present) groove on one of the cylinders the bores
>actually look pretty good, with no noticable oil blow-by.  If I pull the
>engine and completely strip the block it will be a lot more $$ involved
>than just a head gasket,.....

>What are my options here?  Do you all think it would be better at this
>point to just yank the block and have it tanked, and maybe have the
>cylinders rebored and honed since it's out, machine the head surfaces,
>etc?  I don't want to bolt it back together with the crud in the engine so
>if I have to pull it to clean that out, so be it.  It's just a big pain...

Ralph,

I think you kind of answered you own question.  I would definately have
the block hot tanked.  Then have a machine shop check the bore for wear.
Also have the crank checked.  New bearings shouldn't be that much.  The
upper gasket will probably be about $100 to $150 (at least that's what I
paid for the ones for my Mit. 3L eng.).  So before I put that much money
into the gasket kit, just to have to do it again, I'd go the hole route.

Just my 2cents.

John

          48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V
                       65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org