Re: Air compressors from www.menintools.com

To: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Air compressors from www.menintools.com
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 20:10:28 -0400
Hi Don,

> You're committing the mortal sin of air-compressor-purchasing
> by going with a single stage. :-)

I know I know, but I can't justify the cost of a $1000 two stage
compressor... nor do I have any serious need to be doing a lot of, or even
any, media blasting.  If I ever have the need for more air, I will add a
second smaller or equal sized compressor and deal with it that way.

> I've been told single stage is much noisier than dual stage. I
> have a hearing aid. My lawn mower is noisy too. I wear
> hearing protection.

Well I can say that the Puma 6HP/60gal single stage is relatively quiet.  I
can have a reasonable conversation in my friend's garage while we're working
on a car or other project... the same can not be said when he had a similar
size Sears unit that was not belt driven and was oil-free.  IMHO, those seem
to be two biggest contributors of the noise in his garage before the
Craftsman compressor finally gave out anyway.

I am definitely not an air compressor expert... so I can not give any
information on the technical details that you asked about.  There are many
other people on this list more qualified than me to speak about that :-)

Kai