Re: Garage door opener electronics

To: trovato@computer.net
Subject: Re: Garage door opener electronics
From: Donald H Locker <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 20:07:35 -0500 (EST)
Hi, Steve.

Detecting changes in current is quite easy.  There are lots of other
ways to do this, but most of them would cost more (use digital signal
impressed on top of supply current,) so my guess still stands -- looks
at the current and decides what the state of the system is.  Ditto the
up/down/light pushbuttons -- just put some resistors in series with
each button, and detect how much current flows.  That is actually a
good clue to the technique.

(BTW, that's a lot of the way telephones work -- the mouthpiece
modulates the current and the telco detects that; they also measure
how much current flows when the phone rings; they can tell you are
off-hook because current is flowing through the circuit; they can tell
how many (approximately) telephone-type devices (actually
ringer-equivalents) you have connected in your home!)

Donald.