Re: Breaking off a tap?!

To: Derek <dereklola@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Breaking off a tap?!
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 12:41:58 -0500
Derek wrote:
> Question. Why do taps have such long threaded portions? I
> can understand the tapered lead-in section but why the long
> parallel section?

   I would guess that it keeps the thread pitch accurate.

   If you were tapping with a lot of force, and only one or two threads
were riding the "completed" thread, the danger would be that the thread
pitch decreases as the cutters get ahead a little bit.

   With a dozen full-depth threads in the fresh hole, it should help
keep it moving at the correct ratio of turns per inch.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca