Re: roof leak

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: roof leak
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 16:51:41 -0600
> Then put down flashing in the valley.  Figure out why you got the leak, so
> that your new setup doesn't do that.  :-)
>
> If you wanna really be anal, you can get some "bitch-a-thane" and stick
> that to the roof, overlapping the flashing, on either side of the valley.
> I can't remember what its really called (we called it that because when
> you're trying to apply it and its windy, it can get a bit sticky... :-),
> but its a plasticy 3' or so wide sheeting that comes in a roll with a
> sticky side.  It provides a great seal that can even seal up around nail
> holes.  Its _really_ recommended for the eaves, where ice can sometimes
> form, causing water to back up under the shingles.

It's called ice and water shield.  The very best is indeed tradenamed Ice
and Water Shield and is made by W.R.Grace, who invented the stuff.  Their
product is (IMHO and I don't own any of their stock) lots better than all
the rest.  It's so tough you just can't tear it, and if you poke a nail into
it while it's unsupported, it stretches and stretches and stretches before
eventually popping through.  Grace also has a thinner grade called "Vycor
Select" that's a little cheaper but similar construction and still better
than any other brand on the market.  They definitely are a dog to work
with - you have to peel off a plastic release liner (backing) and then it's
incredibly sticky - but when it's properly applied to the deck it seals
nails perfectly.  It's nearly impossible to tear - try it !!

I have used some GAF Weatherwatch (the junk Home Depot sells) and it's a lot
like gooey roofing felt.  It tears pretty easily, and just doesn't seal like
the Grace product.  I'm in the midst of reroofing my house now, and the
first roofer used the GAF product (and applied it badly at that) despite his
promises to the contrary.  I fired him (for that among other workmanship
issues) before he shingled the roof.  When I hired another roofer I had him
cover over the GAF stuff with Grace to make sure it was going to be a
lasting seal.

Karl Vacek
'68 TR250
'67 TR4A-IRS