Re: Electrical problem

To: Ryoung@navcomtech.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electrical problem
From: LBC286@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 09:52:48 EST
In a message dated 2/11/03 11:19:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,

> > The problem he has is that the 3 outlets in the kitchen area are fed by a
> > GFI in the bathroom. I thought maybe the GFI was bad, but that's not it.
> > The main problem I found is that I get 110 volts when checking between
> the
> > ground and either the hot or neutral. This is EVEN with the main fuse
> > breaker OFF.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks for replying.  The lister found the problem.  His explanation is
below, if anyone is interested.

Allen Hefner

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks to all of you that replied to my question. The more I thought about
it the more I began to think about the breaker not cutting power, the more
I became suspicious of the polarity at the source being reversed. After
going back today and pulling the cover off the outlet, I saw immediately
that I was right. The second problem was that the hot feed from the GFI to
the first outlet was dead. Testing with a ohmeter and a long piece of wire
(power disconnected at the source) revealed all the other connections good
but that one. I'll remedy this by running a new piece of ROMEX from a
nearby good oulet to the first outlet and add a GFI outlet to that box.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Gerard