Electrical problem

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Electrical problem
From: LBC286@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 14:30:00 EST
A lister on another list posted this question, and I said I'd post it here.
Let me know if the answer is obvious.  I'm no electrician!!!  The part about
the downstream outlets getting half the voltage may be a hint.

See below.

Thanks,

Allen Hefner

- - - - - - - - - - -

I'm trying to help sort out an electrical problem for a fellow with a small
mobile home. The thing is parked and is plugged into a stationary 110v
standing outlet via an umbilical cord.

The problem he has is that the 3 outlets in the kitchen area are fed by a
GFI in the bathroom. I thought maybe the GFI was bad, but that's not it.
The main problem I found is that I get 110 volts when checking between the
ground and either the hot or neutral. This is EVEN with the main fuse
breaker OFF. I checked the standing outlet and it is NOT the case at the
source, but is when I check the connections at the fuse panel. The wiring
at the fuse panel appears correct, so I'm thinking the problem is between
the fuse panel and the umbilical cord. I was thinking it could be down line
with one of the electrical outlets, but seems that the breaker would kill
any power in that scenario. The other weird thing is that while the
bathroom GFI reads 110 volts between hot and neutral, the kitchen ones read
about 55 to 60 volts. What do you think is going on here?