Re: air regulators

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Subject: Re: air regulators
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 14:25:11 -0500
John T. Blair wrote:
> Do the larger regulators have larger holes in them?  It would seem that
> using the "mimi" regulators or a regulator restrict the flow of air to
> a tool.  Consiquently, if the compressor were capable of flowing 9cfg at
> 90psi how can you be sure the regulator will pass 9 cfm?

   Pressure will drop with resistance anywhere in the line, including of
course the hose you use. (think Ohm's law)

   If it really matters, put a regulator right at the tool and crank the
tank one wide open. Then the pressure in the line will rise and fall
with loading, but at the tool it should be the same.

    The one time I have used this is painting, where I hang the water
trap from my belt with a regulator on it and a three foot whip hose to
the gun.

   Painting uses a low PSI but you want it to be the same at the gun all
the time. Otherwise you get a blast of pressure as soon as you pull the
trigger that falls off right away. (in electrical speak, the cable is
both resistive and capacitive)

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca