RE: air regulators

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: air regulators
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 08:06:39 -0800
> I have a "mini" regulator on my compressor to control the air pressure.
> The air flow through a system will be dependant on the size of the various
> orifaces, ie air hose.  But what about the regulator?  The mini regulators
> have pretty small holes - I didn't measure it, but I'd say no more than
> 1/8" in dia. for the air to got through the regulator.
>
> Do the larger regulators have larger holes in them?  It would seem that
> using the "mimi" regulators or a regulator restrict the flow of air to
> a tool.  Consiquently, if the compressor were capable of flowing 9cfg at
> 90psi how can you be sure the regulator will pass 9 cfm?

John, that is an excellent point.  One way to check is to put a pressure
gage after the regulator, and look at how it behaves under maximum flow.
The regulator that came with my el cheapo (Sanborn "Black Max") compressor
was not up to the task, pressure would drop considerably when I used my die
grinder.  My solution was to remove the pressure gage from the tank, drill
and tap it's bung to 1/4" NPT, and connect a hose directly to the tank.  I
use that hose for tools that need maximum pressure and flow (die grinder,
impact wrench, etc.), and the original fitting for regulated air pressure
and lower flow.

Randall