Re: Drainage from downspout

To: Wayne <w.farrington@verizon.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Drainage from downspout
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 23:38:45 -0800
Wayne wrote:

>Ok, not sure if I'll be able to splain this one adequately but I'll give it a
>try.

I don't know if I'm answering your question but I'll tell you what I
know.  Unfortunately, I'm in the city
with both drainage and sewer systems.

In my world, perforated pipe is used to capture water along the length,
and allow it to travel.  So
perforated pipe is used for drainage at the foundation footings.  You
dig a ditch, line it with filter
cloth, put a couple of inches of gravel, lay the perforated, then
another foot or so of gravel, then
pull the remaining cloth over the gravel.  A gravel burrito wrapped in
filter cloth.  The water hits
the filter cloth which catches the fines, and water travels through the
gravel to the perforated pipe.

  Downspouts go into solid pipe, and travels directly to the drainage
system.  So the perforated is
buried deep, and the solid stuff is pretty shallow.  The idea is to
separate the the sewage
 (which needs treatment) from the drainage, which needs to be routed so
it doesn't cause
structural damage.

I'd be curious to know whether a septic tank is supposed to be used for
drainage in addition
to sewage.

Not a specific solution to your situation obviously, but the use of
filter cloth will probably help.

Steve Shipley
Seattle, WA