Drainage from downspout

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Drainage from downspout
From: "Wayne" <w.farrington@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 19:38:40 -0800
Ok, not sure if I'll be able to splain this one adequately but I'll give it a
try. I've got a downspout that needs to be routed away from the building and
out onto the grass. I currently have a 4" perforated flexible pipe for this
purpose. There is a gradual slope from the downspout to the grass and it has
always seemed to drain fairly well if I can keep the darn pipe unclogged. It
is a straight shot of about 12' or so. This perforated pipe works "ok" for
this purpose but has a couple of problems.

One is, the last two times I have dug up the septic tank for pumping I've hit
the damn thing with the shovel and split it. I know I should mark all those
areas but that would be to easy.:^)
The other thing that troubles me about this set up is the perforated pipe
"leaks" a bit of water right near the mainline entrance to the septic tank.
I'd rather this area stayed dry. And finally, I've never been able to keep the
"mouth" of the pipe open where it drains into the grass. It collapses and
clogs up with sod and dirt very easily. It's kind of half submerged below the
surface of the lawn. I really don't have any other options as far as routing
it goes. It pretty much has to go directly over the top of the septic main
line and near the tank.

So, now that the area around the septic tank and downspout drain is still dug
up from my earlier mainline/tank repair escapades. I thing this may be the
time to fix up that downspout drain. I'm thinking of using hard walled, non
perforated sewer/drain pipe to replace the broken flexible perforated pipe.
I'm hoping that this pipe will be a little more shovel resistant and with no
perforations keep the area of the septic tank dry.

What kind of pipe should I use for this type of application and does anyone
have some suggestions on how best to terminate the end of the drain pipe in
the yard? Such that it would still drain properly, not get clogged quite so
easily and not lay totally on top of the yard surface?

Thanks
Wayne