RE: I'm back! - cold weather car preps

To: <trovato@computer.net>, <mbarre@juno.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: I'm back! - cold weather car preps
From: <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:41:50 -0500
Steven Trovato [mailto:trovato@computer.net] wrote:

> Wouldn't the thermostat stay closed, and therefore bypass
> the radiator until the water reached operating temperature?

Except that the "heat siphon" ones that I've seen are attached in line
with the radiator hoses between the engine and the radiator - they heat
the coolant "external" to the engine block.  Whereas block heaters heat
the coolant in the block...

Really, the block heaters that replace the freeze plugs in the side
of the engine do just fine (and the thermostat stays closed until the
engine is warmed up enough, which happens after you start the engine
and run it for a while).  When in Wyoming, my cars had factory block
heaters.  One from the factory, one bought at the parts counter and
installed by me.  They were essentially identical to the aftermarket
ones you can buy at a parts store (except the dealer's one came with
model specific installation instructions).

Basically you install them by knocking out a freeze plug (punch one
side causing it to turn in the hole, then you remove it with a pair
of pliers).  Clean the hole in the block.  You insert the block heater
into the hole and it seals with an O-ring.  The heater itself usually
has an "L" shaped heater element then goes in first (hook it into the
hole).  Then you "tip" the rest into place.  Tighten the screw which
pulls the "toggle" in (like a toggle bolt for the wall), and it's
mounted.  You have to figure out how to run the power cord to the
front grill/bumper so you have a place to plug it in.  The hardest
part of the whole things is getting access to the freeze plug...

Tim Mullen