RE: I'm back! - cold weather car preps

To: Tim.Mullen@trw.com, mbarre@juno.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: I'm back! - cold weather car preps
From: pethier@isd.net
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 13:01:58 -0600
>When I lived in Wyoming, I had block heaters on my cars.  They worked well.

Back in my ice-racing days, I towed with my Dad's 1970 Suburban.  It had a
factory-option
block heater that I think was mounted in a frost plug.

On a Saturday morning in Brainerd Minnesota, the truck started up with no drama
at all.  Since the temperature was 54 degrees below zero (F), that's probably
good enough.

And no, that was not a wind chill factor.  That was a temperature.  I know our
Canadian and Alaskan friends can beat this story, but it was surely cold enough
for me.  I was grateful that the motel had a place for us to plug in overnight.

Phil Ethier