Re: V8 Olds Engine head gasket

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: V8 Olds Engine head gasket
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 04:09:30 -0800
>>Paul, if the alternative is another junk yard engine, and this one seemed
>>sound before the gasket let go (no bad noises, no oil smoke, good
>>compression, etc.); then I'd at least have a second go at the gasket.
>>Depending on how hard it is to get to, I'd probably even leave the engine in
>>the truck.  Check both the head and block for flatness in several
>>directions, and pay special attention to the surfaces around where the leak
>>was, make sure there's no low spot.

Could someone elaborate on how to check for flatness?  And what kind of
tolerance is allowable?

I'm pretty sure an experienced (machinist, mechanic, ...) , with a good
straightedge could do this by eye.  But I'm imagining myself in this
position and being a novice, I suspect I'd screw it up.  Without the
experienced eye, what tool(s) would be used to measure this?

Steve Shipley
Seattle, WA