V8 Olds Engine head gasket

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: V8 Olds Engine head gasket
From: "Paul F Mele" <Paul.Mele@usermail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 21:58:33 -0500
I need some advice on (I suspect) a blown head gasket on 1978 Olds 350 V8
gas engine

I got it from a junk yard in July 02 to swap into a 1980 GMC Diesel truck
with a dead Diesel engine (Uses BPO bell housing pattern, vs Chevy).  It
came from a Cadillac Diesel that had been converted for the same reason.
Supposedly "rebuilt" the year before the Caddy was rear-ended/ totalled.

I've put on about 4000 miles since the swap.  The heater core leaks a tad
(too much fun to replace at this point!), so I thought that slight coolant
usage was from loss there.  I pressure tested the cooling system...seemed
tight (with the engine cold) in August.

I went to pick up a BMW track car with it this AM....the head gasket blew on
the way down to get the BMW...second cyl from front left now has antifreeze
coming out of the spark plug hole.  Pulsing pressure in the cooling system.
James Bond-style white smoke out the left exhaust.

So....

any thoughts on the value of pulling the engine/ heads, check for warp/
re-surface; new gaskets
or...
should I just look for another engine?
should I check for other faults?
I've spent the last 20 years playing with BMW engines...really feel out of
touch with Detroit Iron!

Thanks
Paul