heli-coil or ?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: heli-coil or ?
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 22:46:45 -0600
Not sure what to do about this problem so I thought I'd check
here first.

I have an after-market intake manifold for my 51 dodge truck.
I just got the exhaust manifolds back from the guy who split
them and it into a dual-exhaust.  So far so good, however,
the intake manifold bolts to the exhaust manifold with four
5/16 x 18 bolts.  The intake manifold however has 3/8 x 16
holes tapped.

My question is, would a heli-coil insert for 5/16 x 18 thread
into a 3/8 x 16 tapped hole?  Or do they use there own tap
sizes?

If a heli-coil won't work are there any alternatives out there?

Thanks!

Brad