Septic tank repair

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Septic tank repair
From: "Wayne" <w.farrington@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 17:44:50 -0800
I know this is a crappie subject but I need some input on a septic tank repair
I will be doing. Not sure if I can convey the situation w/o pictures but I'll
give it a try. This is on an older concrete tank. I had to replace part of the
mainline where it entered the tank baffle. Part of the edge of the tank baffle
has broken out. I've got the new pipe plumbed in but still need to repair the
concrete. My problem is that the broken part includes part of the baffle
inspection/cleanout hole. This is a ~8" tapered hole directly above the baffle
where the mainline enters the tank. The outside edge of this hole has broken
out. This hole is covered with a tapered concrete plug that sits flush with
the top of the tank.

What I'd like to do is leave the concrete plug in place when I slop the repair
concrete around the broken area. This will allow me to properly shape the part
of the tapered hole that has broken out. The problem of course is that the
repair concrete will most likely seal in the plug where it comes in contact
with it. What can I put on the edge of this plug that will allow me to form
the concrete properly but will not allow the new concrete to bond with the
plug? Maybe some axle bearing grease or something? I suppose I could make a
mock plug out of some other type of material but that seems like a bunch more
trouble then the grease method. Another thought would be to take a small
concrete bell and cement it into the hole, then use a new plug for the top of
the bell. This of course would mean the baffle cover would be sticking above
the tank 8" or so. That shouldn't be a problem depth wise but might make
future cleanout of the baffle more difficult.

I will be using some sort of concrete that is supposedly used for concrete
tank repair. Called hydraulic concrete or some such thing. Guess it sets up
nice and strong. Any ideas on how I can repair the broken edge of the hole
with out cementing the plug in place permanently?

Thanks
Wayne