RE: broken ice maker in shop's fridge

To: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Subject: RE: broken ice maker in shop's fridge
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 20:22:54 -0800
Scott, I'm by no means an expert, but I have tinkered with my Whirlpool
icemaker, and actually repaired it twice.

> 1) the teeth that push the cubes (?) out of the tray become stuck.  they
> seem to be unable to push the ice out of the tray, making me wonder if the
> ice can actually stick in the tray.  when this happens, the motor will
> continue to try to turn the gear that turns the rod to which the teeth
> attach, causing the gear to pop back, and back, etc.

On mine, there is a heater built into the tray, which ISTR comes on only
when the motor is running.  But even with the heater, it seems to take a lot
of force to push the cubes out, the motor slows way down when the teeth come
up against the ice.  Sounds like your gears might be worn as well.

> 2) the tube that dispenses water into the tray doesn't always flow water.
> I know it does sometimes, because when I took the thing apart it gushed
> all over me when I triggered the gear to the 'flow' position, so I know
> it's at least capable of doing its job.

I don't know if it's normal, but mine has frozen up at least once, when the
icemaker was left turned off (but freezer running) for several weeks.

> I can't tell if the tube is icing
> up or what.  I don't think it's got a bubble in the line, because I did my
> level best to purge it.

A bubble can't possibly be an issue, there is positive pressure on the line
that will push out any trapped air.

Randall