broken ice maker in shop's fridge

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: broken ice maker in shop's fridge
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 21:51:42 -0500 (EST)
so (and this most certainly was a selling point) the new house has a
fridge in the garage.  a pretty nice fridge.  with an icemaker.  which is
now broken.

it seems to have two symptoms:

1) the teeth that push the cubes (?) out of the tray become stuck.  they
seem to be unable to push the ice out of the tray, making me wonder if the
ice can actually stick in the tray.  when this happens, the motor will
continue to try to turn the gear that turns the rod to which the teeth
attach, causing the gear to pop back, and back, etc.

2) the tube that dispenses water into the tray doesn't always flow water.
I know it does sometimes, because when I took the thing apart it gushed
all over me when I triggered the gear to the 'flow' position, so I know
it's at least capable of doing its job.  I can't tell if the tube is icing
up or what.  I don't think it's got a bubble in the line, because I did my
level best to purge it.

I've been at this thing on and off for a few days now, and I figure now I
should call in someone who's surely done this before.  is there a common
failure point for these things?  it's a g.e., fwiw.

yes, yes, I *could* just go into the house for ice...but what's the point
of having an icemaker in the shop if it doesn't work?  besides, what does
that say about my shop that such a critical component of it is broken?

help me out, y'all...

scott