RE: Best way to remove broken bolts

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: RE: Best way to remove broken bolts
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 00:29:13 -0800
>     You can have an EZ-out removed via EDM at a specialty shop, but you
> would certainly have to bring the block to the machine shop to have it
> done. (Electron Discharge Machining, basically they erode the piece with
> a tip similar to arc welding)

Home Shop Machinist has run several articles over the last 7-8 years on how
to build your own EDM ... if I was really desperate I'd build one and try
it.  The most recent one was simple enough to knock together in an evening,
the power supply was basically a big honking rectifier bridge ($5 at any
decent surplus house, or alternator diodes would probably do) and a light
bulb !  The resulting machine is portable, although using it upside down
might be interesting, as it requires a flow of electrolyte/coolant through
the work area.

There were some impressive examples with the articles.  One that stands out
to me, the outline of a small gear, cut
through a file !  The first article also showed it being used to cut a
broken steel stud out of an aluminum engine block ... with no damage to the
block.  Picked out the pieces, cleaned the threads up and reassembled.

Having recently purchased a 1971 Triumph Stag (with the original
aluminum-head SOHC V8), I think it's likely there's an EDM in my future ...

Randall