Re: Unseizing a bushing?

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Unseizing a bushing?
From: Steven Trovato <trovato@computer.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 23:36:30 -0500
I'm not familiar with this application, but what you describe is how a
bushing normally works.  There is not supposed to be any motion except for
the flexing of the rubber.  Old (sixties vintage) fords used to develop
this horrible squeak from the upper inner A-frame bushings (aka control arm
bushings).  If you didn't want to replace them, you could get a local
mechanic to drill a hole in the outer part of the bushing and thread in a
grease fitting.  You could then gush in some grease and stop the
squeak.  It wouldn't last that long, but then you could always hit it with
more grease.  You were greasing the rubber/metal interface, where there
wasn't supposed to be any slipping in the first place.  Note, this was not
necessarily a good thing from the point of view of suspension
performance.  But it did temporarily stop the squeak.