Re: ready to remove security system with small explosives...

To: "Scott Hall" <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Subject: Re: ready to remove security system with small explosives...
From: "Steve Dillen" <sdillen@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 10:26:12 -0800
>From what I remember of dealing with alarms, the alarm should be programmed
to dial (using your regular phone line) the monitoring company whenever
there's an alarm.  To do this, the alarm is placed in series with the phones
in your house so it's first in line, and can hang up all other phones so it
can get a dial tone to contact the monitoring station.

Most houses are fed with 2 pair of telco lines, the first pair is the
white/blue pair, the second would be white/orange (then white/green,
white/brown, white/slate if there are more wires. . . ). This should be what
you're seeing on the outside of the house with the live/dead pairs

As a complete guess, I would expect that the RJ45 (office phone plug) on the
alarm panel has telco "in" on the first pair, and telco "out" on the second.
Open up the jack and check for dialtone on the pairs.  The pairs color
scheme for telco is as follows:

First pair
Tip -- White wire with blue tracer (white/blue) or Green wire
Ring -- Blue wire with white tracer (blue/white) or Red wire

Second pair
Tip -- White/Orange or Black wire
Ring -- Orange/White or Yellow wire

Subsequent pairs (I don't know the solid colors for these -- never had to
deal with them)
White/Green. . .Green/White
White/Brown. . .Brown/White
White/Slate. . .Brown/Slate

Then check for continuity between the other pairs and a jack in the house to
find out which is the "distribution pair" (jumpering the first pair together
in another jack in the house should let you test continuity with a
multimeter).  The quick fix is to tie the 'live' pair to the 'distribution'
pair, making sure you keep polarity correct.

Hope this helps

Steve Dillen