Re: ready to remove security system with small explosives...

To: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Subject: Re: ready to remove security system with small explosives...
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 02:48:06 -0500
Scott Hall wrote:
> the saga continues...
>
> the new house has a security system installed.  magnet switches in every
> door, etc.  it made a *really* loud, annoying squawk whenever a door was
> opened. ...

   I can't answer your questions specifically, but I did have a similar
situation when I moved into this house.

   The alarm system was tied to a provider that I immediate disliked and
wanted to disconnect from ASAP.

   However, the alarm would call out periodically and transmit
information, like door openings and closings, etc. etc.

   If I recall, sitting beside the main alarm box was a small box that
connected to the alarm and the phone line. The little box was the "line
seizer" where, when the alarm said so, it interrupted the line and did
what it had to do.

   I forget the details, but I was able to sort out which wires to
remove so that it didn't use the phone line any more and the rest of the
phones still worked. However, that caused the "ERROR" light to appear on
all the consoles because it failed to get dialtone and was warning as such.

   The magic moment came when I looked on the internet to find the
manual for my alarm, and then everything was simple, I could program the
thing to stop complaining, stop calling out, reset the callout number,
remove the door-open-beeping, etc. etc.

   Basically in the manual it had the jumper-procedure to reset the
unit, then the password comes up again as 1234 or something trivial and
you can change anything you want. (before that I was locked out of my
own alarm because they had the installer password)

   Then when I chose a new provider, I programmed the alarm, so they
didn't have to do so and put a system password on it, it's all in my
hands. Nice.

   Solution, get the manual. Turn off the squawks. ;>

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca