Re: books, etc. for flooring

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: books, etc. for flooring
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 08:32:37 -0500
> I'll be installing wood strip flooring on a concrete slab
> on the next week or so.  can anyone recommend a good book
> or better, a video on installing this stuff?  it'll be the
> glue-down stuff.  I've installed tile before, but that was
> a 10 x 5 room, and if I messed it up I could afford to rip
> it up and start fresh.  I won't have that option with the
> wood, so I'd like to get it right the first time.

Scott,

What I did when I layed my Hardwood floor, was to cut and
fit
the entire room, starting from the entry way going towards
the
back.  You don't want the seams on 2 successive rows to lign
up.  So when you cut a board to find agains a wall, that the
remaining piece and start the next coarse.

Once ever thing was in, I started at the front again,
pulled up each board, numbered it (on the botton), any drew
a map of all the borads.  This leaves the boards for the
back
wall the last to be picked up.  Now I started laying the
glue
and replacing the boards working towards the front.

A table saw of good cutoff saw will be a big help.  You
don't
want to cut all the boards by hand.

John

        65 Rambler Classic