RE: angle grinder?

To: rf-list@centerone.com
Subject: RE: angle grinder?
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 12:24:56 -0700
> I do have a compressor and a couple air tools for it (mmm, quick
> disconnect fittings rock!), though it sounds like the grinder might take a
> bit longer but be more universally useful in the end, so I'll probably go
> that route.

I use both on occasion, and I have to say I disagree with Tim.  The big
advantages of the air grinder are that it's small and light, hence easier to
maneuver in tight quarters.  But the HF 4" grinder with a cutoff blade will
cut faster.

> Sears right now has a deal going where I can get a 4.5" craftsman grinder
> kit with a few wheels and stuff for like $45.  Is this something I should
> look at?  Someone said the craftsman one lasted forever (which I agree
> with, every other craftsman tool I own is indestructable - my drill press
> was made by them and is over 50 years old, was my grandfather's, and it
> runs like new!),

The last Craftsman electric hand tool (a sabre saw) I bought lasted exactly
13 months (one month beyond the warranty) and probably less than 20 hours
running time.  The commutator exploded, and the repair price was more than
the cost of the tool.  For half the price, I'm happy with the chinese junk
from HF ... it's already outlasted the sabre saw 2:1 ... when it does
finally give up the ghost perhaps I'll consider a Makita or something.

Randall