Re: Gantry re-visited

To: "Conrad" <conrad@conrad.uk.net>
Subject: Re: Gantry re-visited
From: nick brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 23:48:19 +0100
At 17:57 14/10/02 +0100, you wrote:

>I'm not going to pre-judge how much I can ultimately lift, but it needs
>to be at least a car engine, so say 250 kgs. The span of each beam will
>be about 29', so anyone like to take a guess as to what size of beams I
>need to use to achieve all this?
>
>Conrad

Hello Conrad,

Have you considered checking the specs of commercially available overhead
cranes for some ideas on sizing? It might be possible to find a secondhand
one. I wouldn't have thought that this is a project where you want to learn
from experience what the requirements are.

You're right about the usefulness, one of these is high on my list of
things to do.

Nick Brearley