Gantry re-visited

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gantry re-visited
From: "Conrad" <conrad@conrad.uk.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 17:57:51 +0100
Okydokes, after my last round of Qs regarding my gantry I saw the light
and decided I was going about it all wrong.

I've now decided to rearrange things, and put the gantry in the barn,
where there is no real height or weight restriction.

So, hopefully I wont cause another big round of debate as this should be
a much more 'standard' install, although I'm sure I'll be told there is
no such thing as standard etc etc.

What I have is this:

A 30' square portal framed barn. 3 30' wide frames 15' apart. They are
joined together up the walls by 4x3 timbers, with diagonal timbers in
the roof to keep it all square pesumably. Not all that strong I don't
suppose, but I have a 3 tonne block and tackle hanging from the top of
the middle frame, and lift V8 angines + boxes from it no probs. Probably
about 400kgs is the most I've lifted (guess). A few creaks but nothing
moves. I don't have the holding-the-roof up consideration that I had
last time, so a slight bit of flexing of the gantry is perhaps not a
problem.

What I would like to do is run and I-beam along each end of the barn up
in the roof, and then run another on top of them (or below..) on
trolleys. Then hang a hoist from that on a trolley. This will mean I can
pick something up from anywhere and move it to anywhere else.

I have a 6 inch concrete slab floor (with 10mm mesh). The reason I'm
thinking about running the trolleys on top of the beams is that I could
run extra legs down to the floor if needed to spread the load.

I'm not going to pre-judge how much I can ultimately lift, but it needs
to be at least a car engine, so say 250 kgs. The span of each beam will
be about 29', so anyone like to take a guess as to what size of beams I
need to use to achieve all this?

Conrad