Re: please don't let my pump freeze...

To: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Subject: Re: please don't let my pump freeze...
From: Matt <mattmahony@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 14:32:32 -0700
Chris Kantarjiev wrote:
> We bought a cabin in the Sierra last February.

Congrats. Very neat. But you don't say where.  If you're near Sacramento or
Stockton  check out Standard Apliance Parts, Appliance Parts and Equipment Dist.
(APED), or Johnstone Supply. They all sell a great self-regulating heat tape.
They used to anyhow.  I left that part of the world in about 1990.  Works just
perfect for this type of application.  It is rated in Watts per inch IIRC.  It
only gets so warm and then shuts off.  No thermostat needed.  I used to use it
for places with exposed pipes at Tahoe, so it ought to work any where.

> There's some heat tape spiraled around some of the wires - I *think* it works,

Might be the same stuff.  Self regulating, so it won't be hot untill it needs to
be.

> Now that freezing temps are getting close again, I'd like to figure out how to
do this better.
> I'll probably replace this tape, just in case, unless I can convince myself
it's working
> (immerse in cold water? pack in ice?)

Only way to be sure for sure.

> The pump is deep enough that it doesn't seem like it could freeze.

Check

> and I don't know if I need to worry about the pressure tank freezing. Do I?

Drain it or it could freeze.  Mine always had about a gallon or two of water in
it after draining, but it was a 30 gal or so tank and there was enough room for
expansion and I never had any problems.

> Suggestions here would be most welcome.

There you go.

Matt in Vancouver