RE: Air compressor recommendations

To: "'Aric Datesman'" <adatesman@speakeasy.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Air compressor recommendations
From: "PHINNEY,HARRY K (HP-Corvallis,ex1)" <harry_phinney@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 10:30:29 -0700
For $300 you'll not get more than about 10cfm at 90psi. The 60 gallon 15 amp
compressors at HD were $399 a few days ago. This is IMO the minimum for sand
blasting, and you'll also have to buy a blaster. While an inexpensive siphon
blaster will work, it will be slow. A pressure-fed blaster will work much
better, but is more expensive. Blasting is also very messy, and you need
breathing protection and a bit of other protective gear. You'll also have to
buy the blasting media, and the paint. My estimate is that it will cost you
more to do it yourself, but you will then have the compressor and blaster.
Of course, in my experience it'll be the last time you want to use the
blaster :-)

Harry Phinney