RE: Drill Drivers

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Drill Drivers
From: "PHINNEY,HARRY K (HP-Corvallis,ex1)" <harry_phinney@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 10:05:42 -0700
"Inch" wrote:
  Which brings me to a question, DeWalt seems to be pulling ahead in the
  tool market.  I know there were guys out there that like other brands, but

  does anyone have any BAD experiences with Dewalt?

A friend of mine bought the small DeWalt table saw. These things cost close
to $500. The motor lasted around 3 weeks of home shop use before going up in
smoke. The failure was covered under warranty, but he had to hassle with
sending it in, and then had the equivalent of one of the refurbished units.
My perception is that DeWalt excels at and is the market leader in certain
segments such as drill-drivers and chop saws, but their market position in
other segments (e.g. corded drills) is less clear.

Harry Phinney