shower pans

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: shower pans
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 23:51:09 -0400 (EDT)
this is only relevant to shops in that if I pull this off I'll probably
duplicate it for the bathroom off the garage...

we have a bathroom in our house that had a one-piece flberglass shower
insert.  you know, tub and walls together.  well, there was a leak behind
the 'wall' part at some point and it rotted, so I removed the whole thing.
I can't replace it because a new one is 36" wide and won't fit through the
door.  a regular tub won't fit because the vent to the tub hits the side
of the tub (apparently new tubs are made to be 'bigger' in the 60-inch
opening, leaving less room for the vent).  so...I've decided to convert it
to a shower.

this seemed crazy at first until I realized that my mom's house has this
very thing, even built in the same size enclosure (60" * 32").  I'll frame
up a wall for the front and tile it, and there we go.

the one thing I wanted to check before I did it was the pan.  I read in
fine homebuilding a while back two methods to make a shower pan.  but
since we're moving (which is why the shower was ripped out in the first
place) all my magazines are packed in boxes 40 miles away.

so of course I check here.  can anybody offer guidance on this?  iirc, the
two methods were pretty similar:

1) plastic membrane, mud pan on top, tile over mud, etc.  I'd be for this
except nowhere does the mud of the pan contact directly the slab.  this
kinda makes me nervous.  and I'm not sure how to anchor the mud from the
pan to the slab without penetrating the plactic membrane.

2) 'half thickness' mud pan, plastic membrane, finish mud pan on top,
tile, etc.  now I have the mud right on the slab (good), and the plastic
is protected by the mud on either side to help stop rips.  but, now the
pan is effectively two separate pieces of mortar and thus might be more
prone to cracking.  I *think* this is the way I saw it in fhb, but I'm not
sure.

general stuff:

anybody do this before and have advice?
what kind of mortar for the pan?  iirc, it was something 'special'.
what to I seal the sheets of membrane with?  I'll need more than one,
overlapping.
what pitch should I use for the pan?  it should take all of the 60" * 32"
cavity and I'll probably put in a seat.  the drain will be at one end.
any suggestions on how to seal the old vent for the tub?

thanks in advance, and thanks for all that answered the wood floor
question.  I'm pricing the flooring right now.

scott