Re: What? I can't hear you.

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What? I can't hear you.
From: "TONY CLARK" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 12:57:25 -0500
Mark wondered:

>What would be a good material to put on the compressor side of the plywood to
help cut down on noise - standard
> fiberglass mat insulation, or rigid foam board or open cell foam sheets or ???

OLE buddy Lee, an audiologist who has built sound-proof chambers and stuff, once
answered a similar question for me with something like this:

Acoustic foams and diffusion materials break up and absorb sound . . turn it
into heat . . great for quieting a room and lessening reflected sound waves but:
to  CONTAIN sound, nothing beats barrier density . .  lead sheet is best,
quarter-inch vinyl, steel is good but might need undercoat or something to damp
out resonance.  He suggested tarred felt like multi layers of tar paper or
tarred felt concrete divider board might be the best _value_ .  I've seen tarred
felt inside A/C equipment housings and such . . I don't like the fire potential
of tarred products but . . . anyhow, he got me believing DENSITY is the key.

Tony