Re: wood floor over a slab

To: <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Subject: Re: wood floor over a slab
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 07:37:46 -0400
I've no direct personal experience with installing it myself.  But, I do
have an uncle who has installed it in his house about 1.5 years ago, and
in my grandfathers house about 3 months ago.

Both installations were with the snap type from Home Depot.  Both
installations look very good.   Very uniform, no raised edges, etc.  No
wear problems in his house in the past 1.5 years.  He has three  yellow
labs and throws lots of parties, including pool parties.

If you have an Ikea store around you, I'd suggest paying them a visit
as well.  They have their own line that comes in more fake wood paterns
then Home Depot carries, and has a better warranty as I recall.

Standing water is an issue for any type of fake wood floor.  It will
cause swelling of the substructure (particle board essentially), and
destroy the floor effectively.  Spills are not an issue, even with the
snap together units.  But if you're putting it in a basement that's
prone to flooding, that probably wouldbe a problem.