Re: Beams for gantry

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Beams for gantry
From: Rush <jdrush@enter.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 09:51:04 -0400
Conrad wrote:

> In my other, much smaller workshop (currently hut) I want to replace the
> huge 6" timbers that form the roof with smaller steel beams to gain a
> bit more headroom, and to get rid of a wooden pillar that cuts the front
> openning in two. At the same time I was to use these for a light duty
> gantry for engines etc, max lift of around 500kg (about 1000lbs I
> think??).
>
> The roof is sloping about 6 inches over 14 foot. The 3 walls are blocks,
> and the front is open. This is the plan so far:
>
> 1. a steel beam right across the open front
>
> 2. 2 steel beams about 3 foot in from each side wall to support the
> roof. These will hang from the front beam, and sit on 'hangers' on the
> rear wall. This should hopefully replace the big wooden beams and
> pillar.
>
> 3. another beam hanging from the 2 roof supports on roller trolley
> things, and the winch can hang from that. This beam will naturally want
> to roll downhill, so a couple of chains or wires needed to keep it where
> its needed.
>
> Now my questions:
>
> 1. anything fundamentally wrong with this plan?

Your fundamentals are OK. But you may find that only custom steel
fabrications will give you the desired headroom increase, since most
standard shapes gain their stiffness from depth of section. Have you
considered increasing the slope somehow? (new roof)

> 2. Any recommendations on what size of beams to use for the 3 different
> jobs? I have 4 1/2" max height for the beam at the front, and no
> particular limit for the others other than wanting to maximise headroom.

I don't know where you live, but I'd strongly recommend you have an
architect or engineer review the snow loads before you decide on a size.
I'd hate to have your shop crash down around your ears in a blizzard. We
lost quite a few homebuilt sheds in the last blizzard that hit this area,
steel and wood.

> 2a. Does anyone know of a formula I can use to work this sort of thing
> out. I will want to build a gantry in the big workshop as well, and also
> a 25' bridge over a stream, so I'm into beams at the moment :-).

See 2. Sorry. As an engineer and an analyst, I'd only take on something
like this as a paid consultant, since it wouldn't fit into any "standard"
steel configurations where calculations are readily available. (I am
available for hire)

Jon Rush

--
Yes, I know my message date is sometime in April 2001. Welcome to
my own personal version of the film Groundhog Day!

Babe! I got you Babe!