multi 220 v outlets

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: multi 220 v outlets
From: JNiolon@uss.com
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:53:55 -0500
I'm something like Mark...

I have a 220 v 50 amp circuit running to my air compressor in the shed
behind the shop..  I've paralled another outlet in the shop with a dryer
socket on it..  it powers my stick welder and plasma cutter..  Mig machine
is 120 v.  Occasionally I've had both the compressor and the plasma cutter
on at the same time... no breaker trip and no overheating... wire is cool
to the touch..  might not be code, but my breaker box is full !!...  I
think the only time you might have a problem is if the compressor motor
(5hp) and the plasma cutter fired off at the exact same time, that might
trip it, but the duty time on the plasma cutter is usually just 5 or 10
seconds and  that wouldn't put a hazardous load on the circuit I wouldn't
think...

john