RE: Speaking of exhausts...and CO poisoning

To: "Paul F Mele" <Paul.Mele@usermail.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Speaking of exhausts...and CO poisoning
From: Steven Trovato <trovato@computer.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 11:16:21 -0400
Paul,

I can't believe an ER doc would give such advice!  Running engines indoors,
even with doors/windows open is very hazardous.  Plumbing the exhaust
outside is dangerous unless installed and maintained perfectly.  The
situation in your hospital is much different than likely to exist in a
small shop.  Any fire department or other safety agency will advise against
running engines indoors.  As a doctor, I'm sure you know that the effects
of carbon monoxide also make a person less able to recognize the danger and
react to it.  As for your advice to "take a few deep breaths and see if you
get a headache", I think that is just plain reckless.  As Randall so
cleverly observed,  "We are all going to end up dead, whether we do this in
our garage or not."  I just prefer to err on the side of caution, and avoid
carbon monoxide poisoning.  I would prefer to live long enough to die of
something else, preferably in a long, long time.  I'm not really interested
in a flame war on this.  I'd just like everyone to stay safe.

-Steve