RE: Morse bi-metal hole saw kits

To: "'Eugene D Abbondelo'" <eabb@loc.gov>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Morse bi-metal hole saw kits
From: "PHINNEY,HARRY K (HP-Corvallis,ex1)" <harry_phinney@hp.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 09:46:24 -0700
Eugene wrote:
> Does bi-metal refer to their use on both hard and soft metals?
> I would be using these for home use on steel or aluminum up to about
> 1/8 thickness.  There is also another set in the same sales catalog for
> an 11 piece Starrett brand set at $100.00.  Any difference in brand
> quality?

The term bi-metal describes the means of manufacture of the saws. The teeth
are made a (very) hard tool steel, and are welded (or sometimes brazed) to
tougher, softer steel that forms the rest of the saw. Saws made entirely of
tool steel are too brittle, and break easily, while a saw made entirely of
tougher steel will wear too quickly. All good quality metal cutting saw
blades these days are bi-metal. I don't have any experience with the Morse
saws, but can say that the Starretts are very good.

Harry Phinney