Re: Shop Rags

To: Wayne <w.farrington@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Shop Rags
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 05:39:39 -0400
Wayne wrote:
> What are you guys doing to clean your shop rags? I know I could just throw
> them away, but these are good commercial quality rags and I would like to keep
> them. Also, what are you doing to store used shop rags. I have one red fire
> type container but its full and the pile next to it on floor is growing. I
> realize it's probably not good to leave the rags in a pile. What are some
> alternatives.
My wife, for some reason, won't let me put them into her washing machine. If I
were serious about cleaning them, I would take them to a local coin laundramat
and wash them with lots of extra pine cleaner or similar. Another alternative
would be to watch the classified ads an pick up an old but still working
washing
machine and use it only for rags. I end up throwing mine out.

As far as storage, understand that it is only rags with linseed oil that may
heat up and burst into flame. Rags with petroleum based liquids may smell
pretty
bad, but they will not catch fire on their own. I have never had any oily rags
catch fire (unless I left them near where I was welding. oops!), but I don't
use
linseed oir or other vegetable oils for anything.

Mike

> Wayne

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
Email:(msloane@att.net)
Website: <http://www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Tractor images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world:  those who under-
stand binary arithmetic, and those who don't."