Air compressor shed?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Air compressor shed?
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 12:10:46 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

I'm new to the list, hopefully this isn't something that's been beat to
death already...

I've been thinking about building a compressor shed attached to my garage
to get the noisy compressor somewhere else...  How much do I need to worry
about ventilation and heat control if I do this?  What sorta pipe is good
for air delivery?

I live in Pittsburgh, PA, so it gets both cold and hot.  Ideally I could
just build a 3'x3' or so mini shed attached to the garage with some
insulation (primarily for sound) and air vents.

My dad seemed to think that compressors couldn't handle freezing temps
well however...  My current compressor has been out in my garage in
freezing temps for years with no real ill signs (the regulator adjustment
has been frozen for years), but its an oiless type.

Anyway, just hoping some of you that have done this can give me some
pointers.

Thanks!

Mark
(I'm planning on putting something like the IR 2340L5 in the shed as
well... Any other decent compressors folks would recommend in the $1k
range?)