Re: Media Blasting

To: Malaboge@aol.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Media Blasting
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 18:33:05 -0700
At 07:26 PM 5/28/2002 -0400, Malaboge@aol.com wrote:

>Fellow Blasters-
>My old aluminum oxide was becoming just a little too smooth around the
>edges to do any actual effective harm to the rusty pieces going in the
>cabinet. Sooo, I order up some new "virgin aluminum oxide". The bag I
>received had a name like "Aldular" or some such name that sorta implied
>that it might be aluminum oxide of some type. When I poured it in the
>cabinet I noted that it is BLACK. Not white, off-white, grey or even light
>black, but very black. For various and sundry reasons (mostly my own
>health)I don't want to use anything else, Esp silica of some sort. Has
>anyone ever seen (or even heard of)black virgin aluminum oxide?
>If not, what do I have here?
>
>Blast...
>   Nick in Nor Cal

I don't know what it is, but I've been waiting for this topic to come
around again.  I've been through two bags of
glass beads and a bag of garnet.  I'm ready to go shopping again.  I seem
to blast a lot of aluminum castings
from a variety of vehicles and any old rusty steel that I can fit into my
home made (TIP) cabinet.  I have one of
those 5hp 60gallon Ingersol Rand compressors that seem to always be on sale
for $369.  Tag says 11cfm@90psig.

I believe there are two grading/sizing systems for beads. What are you
using for abrasives?  I'd love to have a
bunch of people check in on this topic.  I've had varying results with my
setup, there are obviously a variety of
variables to consider.

Steve Shipley
Seattle, WA.