RE: fuel line check valve

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: fuel line check valve
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 13:40:09 -0700
Brad :

Can't help with the check valve, but my question is how is air getting into
the line in the first place ?  The generator fuel pump should have check
valves in it so that even if the main engine is sucking against the line, it
should remain full of fuel.  Something must be leaking.

Also, assuming your generator has a carb (Ok, my Onan is an antique), why is
it's float bowl dry ?  It should not be possible to suck it dry through the
fuel line unless the vent is blocked somehow.

One solution might be to add a Facet type fuel pump to feed the generator.
On my generator, even though it uses magneto ignition, there is provision
for a fuel pump feed (I replaced the original Onan electric pump with a
Facet, which helped starting immensely).

Also, it shouldn't be too hard to build a check valve from a ball bearing, a
brass pipe coupling and a pair of suitable "NPT to hose barb" adapters.
Mount it vertically or use a spring to push the ball up against the hole in
one of the couplings.  Tap it into place the first time, to create a bit of
a seat in the brass.

Randall