Re: Cougars (was : blowing up gophers)

To: "Randall Young" <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Subject: Re: Cougars (was : blowing up gophers)
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 23:18:30 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Cc: shop-talk@autox.team.net <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 12:16 AM

>> Now the naturalists are trying
>> to figure out whether it is truly wild cougar or a feral.
>
>Ok, I'll bite, what difference does it make if it was once 'tame' or not ?

Not that you will bite, but that the cougar might.  :-)

I would consider a feral cougar that had lived with people to be great deal
more dangerous to people.

The great advantage of a truly wild cougar, a member of a race of wild
cougars which has remained largely incognito in Minnesota for generations,
is that they are clearly afraid of people.  This is a good thing.  This is
not to say that wild cougars have not attacked people in the USA.  This has
clearly happened, but not in Minnesota.

>Just a question of whether wild ones are extinct ?

Well, that too, of course.

Here in Minnesota, we have the only population of timber wolves  in the
lower 48 to have remained continuously in the wild.  They don't attack
people.  They avoid people.  There has never been a case of a person killed
in Minnesota by a healthy wild timber wolf.

Wild dogs, which would be feral dogs, scare the hell out of me, because they
are probably not afraid of me.

Phil Ethier  West Side   Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
pethier@isd.net   http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.vtr2002.org