Re: Grainger

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Grainger
From: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 16:47:01 +0000
>From: LBC286@aol.com
>To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
>Subject: Re: Grainger
>Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 10:52:12 EDT
> > Is this a chain of warehouses?  We have Co-ops.  Is this the same thing?

All,

To my knowledge there are three major nation-wide general industrial supply
companies: Grainger, MSC, and McMaster-Carr.

Grainger has branches in many cities.  Most people buy items
over-the-counter at their local branch.  In my experience, they are usually
pretty fussy about selling to private consumers.  I have normally been asked
for a Purchase Order, and they normally expect you to pay with a company
check.  Some branches may be less fussy about that.  These days, it is easy
enough to fake a Purchase Order.  It's also easy to get a credit card with a
company name on it.

Grainger seems to concentrate mostly on general industrial supplies related
to safety, shop supplies, some hydraulics & pneumatics, HVAC, motors, pumps,
that sort of thing.  I do not think they are as strong in smaller mechanical
hardware like fasteners, etc, as the other guys.  But, a local store is sure
convenient (if you have one).

McMaster-Carr does not have local branches, but they do have three or four
regional warehouses (NJ, LA, Houston I think, maybe one other).  They
generally sell by phone orders, faxes, etc & ship by UPS or other.  You can
pick up products at their warehouses, if you happen to live close enough.
In contrast to Grainger, I have usually found McMaster to be stronger in
mechanical hardware, although they also have shop supplies and larger items.
  They are perfectly willing to sell to individuals, but generally unwilling
to send you a catalog.  If you can fake up a company letterhead, you might
be able to get a catalog -- maybe.  Last time it took me several tries.
They have on-the-road salesmen, who call on major companies & hand out
catalogs.  They try not to mail many catalogs to unknown companies.

I have no experience with MSC but I believe they have just one location &
sell primarily through the mail, like McMaster.  They will send anyone a
catalog.  I believe they will happily sell to anyone.

The catalog issue is less of a bother these days -- all three companies have
their complete lines on the web, which you can search & browse.  See
www.grainger.com  www.mscdirect.com  www.mcmaster.com

There are other, regional & local industrial supply houses in many areas --
locally here we have Losey's and a few others.  Most of these are open to
the public but may have significantly higher prices, or I should say
significant discounts for commercial accounts.  I think
Grainger/MSC/McMaster have basically a discount price for all customers, tho
some large customers may get a bigger discount.  Fastenal is, I think, a
nationwide distributor for industrial fasteners, good for some nuts & bolts
stuff (but primarily construction fasteners I think).

Will send a separate post on bearing supply houses -- a different field.

Mark Palmer